David Hess Honored with Rising Star Award by Yale's Millstein Center
Business law professor recognized for expertise in global corporate governance.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The Millstein Center for Corporate Governance and Performance at the
Yale School of Management has awarded David Hess a 2009 Rising Star of Corporate Governance Award. The annual award recognizes global corporate governance professionals under the age of 40 who are making a mark as outstanding analysts, experts, activists, or managers.
Hess, assistant professor of business law, researches corruption in international business, the role of law in ensuring corporate accountability, and approaches that enable corporations to go beyond legal compliance to meet the expectations of society with respect to ethical behavior and sustainable economic development. His publications in this area analyze the proper structuring of sustainability reports to increase stakeholder influence and improve organizational learning.
"This is the second year that we have had the privilege to honor young and upcoming professionals in corporate governance through this 'Rising Star' award," says Ira M. Millstein, senior associate dean for corporate governance at the Yale School of Management. "The work is even more meaningful this year given the financial crisis, corporate governance failures, and need for reform. We are hoping to foster a Rising Stars Network of Excellence going forward."
In addition to Hess, the 2009 Rising Stars of Corporate Governance include
- Nada Abdelsater-Abusamra, Attorney at Law, Raphaël & Associés
- George Anderson, Partner, Tapestry Networks
- Stephen L. Brown, Director, Corporate Governance, TIAA-CREF
- Evelynne Change, Coordinator for Corporate Governance, African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) Secretariat, New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD)
- Deborah Gilshan, Corporate Governance Counsel, Railpen Investments
- Elizabeth Ising, Associate Attorney, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Alexis B. Krajeski, Associate Director, Governance and Sustainable Investment, F&C Management Limited
- Rachel C. Lee, Senior Corporate Counsel, EMC Corporation
- Julieta Rodríguez Molina, Associate, Galindo, Arias & López
"The diversity of this year's awardees, in terms of both home country and industry, is simply wonderful," says Stephen Davis, senior fellow of the Millstein Center.
The recipients were nominated by their peers and selected by a committee of leaders from the Millstein Center, the Open Compliance and Ethics Group, the International Corporate Governance Network, and Weil Gotshal & Manges. Nominees were judged on past accomplishments and thought leadership, future projects and endeavors, reputation among existing industry leaders, and potential to influence the industry in the future.
The Millstein Center for Corporate Governance and Performance at the Yale School of Management is a leading global resource for testing, challenging, and advancing the premise that corporations should and can serve society.
For more information, contact:
Bernie DeGroat, (734) 936-1015 or 647-1847, email@example.com