If You Don't Have A Uniqname (iMpact login name)
If you are an alum who left the
University prior to receiving a uniqname, or you forget your uniqname, you
will need to create one before you can begin using the
Lifetime Email Forwarding service:
If you have never been issued a UM uniqname and Kerberos password, follow
the instructions below:
- Go to https://weblogin.umich.edu.
- Under the heading, "Need a login name?" (bottom of page) click
- You will be taken to a "Conditions of Use" page. Choose "Accept
- You will then be taken to an eligibility screen. All you need is one
of the three items to confirm your alumni identity:
- Social Security Number (last four digits only)
- Alumni ID number (found on your mailing label - 10 digit number, the first
3 digits will be 000)
- UM ID number (eight digit number found on your UM ID card)
NOTE: When asked for your
name, please use the name shown on all official University of Michigan
- Click "Check Eligibility."
- If you had previously created a uniqname, your uniqname will appear on the
a. If you remember the password associated with your uniqname, you can return
to https://weblogin.umich.edu and
b. If you can’t remember the password associated with your uniqname, you
will need to contact the ITCS Accounts Office at 734.764.8000 or
Only ITCS Accounts office can reset your password.
- If you are eligible for a uniqname and did not previously create one, you
will be provided with several uniqnames to choose from (based on the email
address you submitted on the eligibility screen).
- Select a uniqname from the list.
NOTE: You also have the
option to create a uniqname. If you choose this option, you will be asked to
create a uniqname from 6 to 8 characters. Be
aware that many uniqnames have already been taken, so uniqnames such as "firstname.lastname@example.org" or
"email@example.com" are probably not available.
You will then be directed to a page with two options below. Check your
a. Sign Up for Lifetime Email Forwarding, and
b. Receive University of Michigan Email Messages.
NOTE: If you chose to sign up for Lifetime Email Forwarding, you
will then be asked to enter the email address to
which you would like your "@umich.edu"
email address forwarded. You can choose a different email address than
which you originally indicated on the eligibility screen.
- After checking your preferences, you will be prompted to select a password
to accompany your new uniqname. This will be known as your Kerberos password.
- After selecting a password, you have the option to store a hint in the
Online Directory in case you forget your password. The hint should be
something that will help you remember your password. You will then have the
option to select a challenge and response, which will prompt your hint if you
forget your password.
EXAMPLE: Challenge - "Where do I live?"
Response - "Ann Arbor"
prompts Password Hint - "My dog’s name." From
this you can remember
that your password is "Sparky." Response & password are case-sensitive.
- After completing these steps, you will have created your new UM uniqname
and Kerberos password and will be directed to a University of Michigan
NOTE: Adding your new uniqname and password to the
Business School database
typically takes at least
2 hours for our system to complete, but may take up to 24 hours. If
you can't get into iMpact with your new
uniqname and password, try again in a
- If you have any questions about uniqnames and passwords, or are having
trouble getting a uniqname and password, contact ITCS at 734.764.8000 or
Important Note Regarding Lifetime Email Forwarding!
Signing up for Lifetime Email Forwarding MAY NOT update your email address in
- If you currently have an email address listed in iMpact, you'll
need to enter your new "@umich.edu" address on your Personal Alumni Profile
- If you currently do not have an email address listed in iMpact,
your new "@umich.edu" address will automatically be added to your profile.
To ensure that your Personal Profile in iMpact lists your preferred email
address, please see the following instructions:
- Go to "My Alumni Profile" at
NOTE: You’ll have to log in again using your new uniqname and
- Click the “Edit Profile” button at the top of your profile.
- In the Email field, click “Edit Email Address.”
- Enter your new “@umich.edu” email address in the Email Address field.
- Click "Save Changes."
From this point on, all email messages sent to your "@umich.edu" address will
be forwarded automatically to the new address you specified. To be effective,
however, you must remember to keep your forwarding address current in the UM
Online Directory. Whenever you change jobs or Internet Service Providers (ISPs),
be sure to change your forwarding address in the UM Online Directory (http://directory.umich.edu).
If you have any questions regarding Lifetime Email Forwarding, please contact
the ITCS at 734.764.8000 or
NOTE: U-M is providing email forwarding ONLY. If you are interested in
a U-M mailbox with full email storage capability, you may purchase this service
through the University of Michigan's Information Technology Central Services (ITCS)
department. For more information, visit the U-M Online website at